My Musings Lately...

In our small group class at church we were discussing putting God first in our lives and what does that look like.  This is a topic I've been personally mulling over in my mind for a few weeks.  Maybe it is because I'm a Mom and I have little ones who need to learn to obey.  At first I thought they needed to obey so I wouldn't go nuts.  Then slowly I came across a few nuggets of insight that struck me as the wisdom I'd been looking for.  They need to learn to obey because I want them to obey God when it counts, when it matters, when it is not what they want but when it is the better choice for them, when they won't know the why but because they trust the authority.  That's why they need to learn to obey.  

Driving to preschool to drop off Luke this morning I was still thinking this over when the verse came to mind that you can't follow two masters. [ Matthew 6:24 ]  Growing up in church this is not a new verse to me and I've always been told to name the other master.  Usually greed, power, money, fame some people offer up drugs, alcohol, or lust.  People always have a sin to blame the opposing master on.  It is God vs. the sin that we serve.  Today I realized in the light of all I've been thinking about that it is much simpler than that.  

The other master is me.

I obey God or I obey ME.  That's it make a choice.  And make it again and again and again.  No need to complicate or find out why.  

If you are impressed that God is asking something of you...you drop what you are doing say "Coming" and come and obey.  It's is what I ask of the kids.  It's what God asks of me.  

This time He is asking me to obey and the unknowns are scary and filled with "what if I'm not enough" and "what if it's to hard".  But today I can say I trust the one whose authority I'm under.


From a Man who had practiced obedience over and over and over....


 Matthew 8:8-10The centurion (a soldier) replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.  For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 
And so the song in my head today I learned standing next to my Gammie (grandmother) many many years ago with her very LOUD singing voice:
Then in fellowship sweet, 
We will sit at His feet, 
Or we'll walk by His side in the way; 
What He says we will do, 
Where He sends we will go, 
Never fear, only trust and obey.
Trust and obey, for there's no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Comments

Popular Posts