A Dove Limit

It was totally spur of the moment decision that turned into what Grant will call one of his best dove hunts in years.  We had nothing going on Saturday evening and a house full of energetic kids.  It's dove season and Grant took the boys last weekend and had a great time.  Knowing that I thought maybe we could all go and if nothing happens it wouldn't be so bad.  You couldn't beat the weather that night and Caroline had never gone hunting of any type (actually neither had I).
 I've been to deer camp a number of times when I just had Savannah and Jack but I had never seen Grant actually shoot anything so I thought it would be fun to go.  Grant told me we didn't have to be super still or quiet so that confirmed our decision to load up.

We drove a few hours down the turnpike to Praque, OK where Grant's dad grew up.  I love to hear the stories of Grant as a boy running wild around there fishing in the ponds, driving tractors and trucks, and just being all boy out there in the wild.  We didn't get much past the gate when Grant and Jack spotted some doves.

We set up near some tall grass and sunflowers me with my camera and Grant with his gun.  We weren't even really settled when a few flew overhead and Grant got busy shooting.  Savannah talked Grant into moving a little ways down the gravel driveway so we could all see and he could shoot over both pastures.  It turned out to be a great choice!

After the gun stops firing the kids started running!  Who could find the dove first.  Not one of them was scared to touch it. All of them were proud to bring it back to what Luke was now calling "the pile"!

After Grant thought he shot the limit the kids ran off to climb on the hay bales.  After questioning the limit number we looked online and saw that it was 15 so even with the kids walking on hay bales in the distance in one pasture Grant still managed to shoot 5 more.

The kids lined them up and counted them.  We were there 3 hours but there was so much action it went by so quickly.  A beautiful sunset and we were packed up and headed back to Tulsa.

As Luke says in the video we will eat them for our food!  Sometime this week we will have dove poppers!  So so good!

All in all I think we will do this again....maybe we will try a family duck hunt one day.  But I'm going to need some serious winter gear to do that!

Popular Posts