Made it Monday 4.19.10


Made it Monday!  It worked.  I always get excited when you get an idea and it actually comes together as planned.  This week I made my niece her other birthday present.
 She asked for a drawing pad from me.  
Well I just could buy a drawing pad and call it good so I made it fancy!

The first thing I did was buy the drawing pad and coloring pencils from Target.  Then I took them to Goodwill to find an old book that the drawing pad and pencils would fit inside.  I found the perfect one and  only spent $1.  Next a quick trip to Hobby Lobby to find the perfect fabric!

Supplies Needed:
Old Book, Drawing Pad, Colored Pencils, Fabric, Modge Podge, Paintbrush, Scissors, Iron-on Adhesive (Heat N Bond), Button, Thread, Needle, Velcro 

First step is to lay out your materials and cut your fabric.  I choose to have the fabric overlap underneath the drawing pad so the seam would be less visible.
The I sewed a button on the front and a string on the back of the fabric.  The button and string will help the book stay closed.  This step needs to be done before you Modge Podge the fabric to the book.
Start the gluing process.  I started with folding the top and bottom edge down then moved to the sides.  Put a generous amount of Modge Podge on the book cover and on the top of the fabric.  It should be "wet" when you are done.  Make sure to brush it smooth.  
Gluing done.  Let dry.  (It doesn't take that long)
I wanted an E on the front of Emily's book so I printed one out in a font that I liked and traced it on some red fabric.  I ironed on some adhesive which made the fabric stiff and cut it out.  Next I ironed the E to the front of the book and then Modge Podged the front, spine, and back of the book.
While the book was drying I cut off the top of the pencil box and covered it with the red fabric.  Modge Podge the fabric to the box leaving an opening for the pencils.  
I attached (with Modge Podge) a rectangle piece of fabric to the top of the pencil box and cut one end in the shape of an envelope.  This end is long enough to come over the top of the pencils to help them stay in the box.  I attached a small piece of velcro to the fabric and the box to help it stay closed.
Next I attached a piece of velcro to the back of the drawing pad and the inside of the book to hold the pad in place.  Hopefully this will allow her to change out the pad once she done with it.  In retrospect I would have sewn an elastic band to hold it in place...but that has to be done before the modge podge begins.
All done!  Works great...hope she likes it!  Very easy project and very fun to do!

What have you Made?


Comments

  1. Very cute! Your niece is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing aunt! I'm sure your neice will treasure her new gift :)

    Thanks for hosting.

    -Sarah @ Sugar Bananas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your project is so cute! It will be the envy of all of her friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really is super cute! I love it, and I bet she'll be showing that off at school!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm new to your party and a new follower! thanks for hosting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little niece is just so adorable. I just love what you made for her. Thank you so much for hosting this fun party. There are so many wonderful things here. I am a new follower!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You never cease to amaze me with your creativity! That is the coolest project I have ever seen! I want to make one for my little cousin. Don't know if I can find everything here in Russia, but its still an amazing idea. You go girl! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting..I don't know if I told you this already..If I did sorry for the repetitiveness
    but I cannot find a code for your Button..Without a code I cannot put it on my sidebar to have others come weekly to the link party..Can you help me with that please?? Thanks so much...Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for hosting this week's party!
    What a fun and creative gift idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for hosting this week's party!
    What a fun and creative gift idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. precious
    Im a new follower btw!!

    xoxo
    B's

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for hosting again! I just Love that cute project!!

    ~Morgan

    Meet Virginia!
    Meet Virginia!
    Meet Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is adorable and so is your girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. there are so many great ideas here! thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this...and love the fabric you chose! Sooo clever! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts