Victory is NOT an Accident

Over the weekend my husband and I got away with about 400 of our nearest and dearest friends to go see a movie called "War Room".  This movie was made by the same men that made the movie "Courageous".   And if you haven't seen that one it is a must see!  We don't get out to see very many movies and Courageous was one that we saw on our annual anniversary trip in the fall about three years ago.  It a story about Fatherhood.

The movie changed our lives.  Literally.  We didn't know how much at the time and I can't even really pin point what in that movie talked to us the most.  My guess it that honestly the Holy Spirit did the talking and the movie was just the vehicle he used.  After that movie we went to dinner and all we could talk about was the possibility of adoption which was NOT what the movie was about at all.  Mind you I was NINE months pregnant with Luke who would arrive three weeks after this dinner conversation.  And two weeks after that Grant was scheduled for a surgery of his own.  We were done having kids!

A secret part of me wanted to just wait and see War Room on our own where who knows what the Lord would press upon our hearts this time.  As it stood we had 15 minutes to drive from the theater to the church to pick up the kids to discuss the movie before parenting and distractions take over.

For those of you who have never heard of the "War Room" it is a compelling drama with humor and heart that explores the power of prayer can have on marriages, parenting, careers, friendships, and every other area of our lives. [READ MORE here]

Here is one of my favorite clips from the movie that has me thinking:

Off and on for years now I have had a piece of paper in a ziplock bag taped inside my shower.  It's not fancy nor is it cute decor.  But it is functional.  My biggest problem with prayer is that I forget to do it.  True friends with real problems who I really care about ask me to pray for them and with my best intentions I truly want to.  Then 5 minutes later I forget until my memory is jogged again.  Life has distractions some of them are natural; you know the kids whining over "who touched who" and "I had it first". And some distractions are on purpose I'm convinced.  My thought life has NEVER been the same in this area after listening to "The Screw Tape Letters" by C.S. Lewis.  Satan and his angels are real and mess with us continually, we just dismiss them instead of acknowledging them and we certainly don't fight back.  I often see us believers as the weaklings on the playground being picked on my a mastermind bully who is just too smart to get caught.  Prayer is how we fight back.

That ziplock bag in my shower, it has my prayer list in it.  If I'm lucky I get 10 minutes a day undistracted and I can either stand there in the hot water day dreaming or be focused on the most meaningful things in my life and fight to keep them and myself on God's course.  Which brings blessings by praying and seeking God's wisdom for those I love on the list, those I care about and their needs, and those I know that are either far from God or who are just lukewarm.

I will probably mention more about this movie and how it speaks to me as I have to digest it and make my own battle plan.  I would love to hear your thoughts on the movie if you have seen it or tips for your "War Room" if you have one in the comments below.

I'll leave you with Psalm 119 from The Message it starts out:
You’re blessed when you stay on course,
    walking steadily on the road revealed by God.
You’re blessed when you follow his directions,
    doing your best to find him.
That’s right—you don’t go off on your own;
    you walk straight along the road he set.
You, God, prescribed the right way to live;
    now you expect us to live it.
Oh, that my steps might be steady,
    keeping to the course you set;
Then I’d never have any regrets
    in comparing my life with your counsel.
I thank you for speaking straight from your heart;
    I learn the pattern of your righteous ways.
I’m going to do what you tell me to do;
    don’t ever walk off and leave me.


And finishes with:

Let my cry come right into your presence, God;
    provide me with the insight that comes only from your Word.
Give my request your personal attention,
    rescue me on the terms of your promise.
Let praise cascade off my lips;
    after all, you’ve taught me the truth about life!
And let your promises ring from my tongue;
    every order you’ve given is right.
Put your hand out and steady me
    since I’ve chosen to live by your counsel.
I’m homesick, God, for your salvation;
    I love it when you show yourself!
Invigorate my soul so I can praise you well,
    use your decrees to put iron in my soul.
And should I wander off like a lost sheep—seek me!
    I’ll recognize the sound of your voice.


I'm prompted to ask if one of you has a request and you don't know anyone that would sincerely pray for you please let me know so that I may.  That I may add you to my list and pray over you and your situation.  

Julie

Comments

Popular Posts