Two for the Freezer and a Surprise in the Fridge!

The Remington Man was back in the woods this weekend for opening day of black powder deer season.  If you don't know much about hunting they start with the most primitive (and hardest) way to hunt first and that is with a bow and arrow, then a few weeks later they can use black powder guns for a few weeks (think civial war era...it's not just a bullet in the gun), then it's back to bow and arrow, and then at the end of the season you can use a rifle.


The Remington Man says his favorite is black powder; and it must be because he brought home two large deer this weekend.  Our freezer is now completely full!

Our little one will grow up know where the meat comes from and here it is in it's original package.  I think it is important to teach her where her food comes from, to know that it takes a lot of hard work, and that she should be thankful for her food.  This summer we took her to pick blackberries and blueberries, we have our own backyard garden, and now we have are own "organic" lean meat.   
Then there is this....anyone notice anything that doesn't belong in my kitchen fridge???  He told me he ran out of time to finish cleaning the antlers; so this was his solution.

I am planning on making jerky this week.  We have several quart size bags of meat cut for jerky; I would love to try out several different recipes.  If anyone has a favorite jerky recipe please let me know!

This is the one I am trying this week is from Mike Shelton courtesy of AllRecipes.com.

(1lb. venison roast, 4 tbs. soy sauce, 4tbs. Worchestire sauce, 2 tbs. liquid smoke, 1 tbs. ketchup, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 onion salt, 1/2 tsp. salt)

1.  Slice meat in long strips, 1 inch wide and 1/8 in thick.
2.  Place everything in a Ziploc bag refrigerated overnight.
3. Follow dehydrator instructions or preheat oven to 160 degrees. Place strips on rack so they don't touch.  Place a pan below to catch the drips and leave for 6 to 8 hours to the desired consistency.

 It should be good!  I'll update this post later and let you know!

If anyone knows of anybody having a hard time providing food for their family this winter that could use some meat in the Tulsa area and they would eat venison let me know their situation at ThePersimmonPerch @ gmail.com and we will see what we can do.  Thanks!

Comments

  1. Okay. The deer head in the frig would send me over the edge...and I'm from a family of hunters:) I even like venison...just not quite that way. My sister makes jerky all of the time. I will ask her for her recipe and try to get back to you. I would love for you to join in Crock Pot Wednesdays at Dining With Debbie. Come share a favorite and leave with some new ones. Come check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debbie; my fridge is now back to normal now maybe even a little cleaner than before! You don't want our crockpot recipe from this week. Neither of us were impressed; I thought you could go wrong with cheese and bacon but I was sadly mistaken. Hopefully we will come across another good recipe to submit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet you are.

    My husband has never been much of a hunter but both of his brothers are avid hunters and their family has a lot of farm land on several different properties. Our 2nd son has been begging for a bow and wants to get into hunting so I think hubs mught take it up if we get moved back and find a job soon

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are hilarious!!! Great writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts